A necklace is a type of jewelry that is worn on the neck. Necklaces are perhaps the earliest forms of jewelry worn by a man. Traditionally, necklaces were worn solely during religious, funeral, and celebratory events. Traditional healers and magicians also used necklaces as a part of rituals. Currently, necklaces are worn for beauty purposes. Most necklaces are made of a band, chain, or a cord with which the ornament is wrapped around someone’s neck. However, manufacturers go far and beyond to produce products that stand out by adding attachments to the bands. Such attachments include pendants, lockets, and spiritual attachments like crosses and figurines. With that said, engraved necklaces have become a common phenomenon.
Engraved jewelry is a form of personalized jewelry that is designed primarily for the taste of a client. They are those that contain a personalized message like a birthday, love quotes, or any other and a phrase, among other content. Types of jewelry that commonly fall in this category include rings and necklaces. Many are times when engraved necklaces become keepsakes or heirlooms in the family for several years.
Uses of engraved necklaces
- Gifting someone an engraved necklace is a thoughtful way of expressing love and affection to family members and friends
- Engraved necklaces are also perfect gifts for occasions like mother’s days, father’s days, valentine’s, birthdays and other special events
- Engraved necklaces are also the perfect cremation jewelry
Where to buy engraved necklaces
Engraved necklaces are often acquired from specific vendors who specialize in the art. Mainly artists with knowledge of different kinds of metals. On the other hand, these necklaces and other types of engraved jewelry like Russian necklaces can be acquired from online websites. When choosing the best site to buy such necklaces, consider the message that you want on the product. For common messages like dates, online sites would be the best option. On the other hand, for personalized messages like unique quotes, artists who specialize in this work.
Classifications of Necklaces by length
Below are some of the most common classifications of necklaces by length;
- Chockers- these are the shortest types of necklaces. They usually sit high on the neck hence the name
- Princess- these necklaces are much longer than chockers with an average length of 45 centimeters and 50 centimeters
- Matinee- these are those necklaces whose lengths differ between 56 and 58 centimeters.
- Opera- these are much longer necklaces that rest at the top of the cleavage of the wearer
- Rope- any necklace that is longer than an opera is referred to as a rope necklace. However, other necklaces are much longer than rope necklaces. These necklaces often do not have a clasp and can be draped multiple times around the wearer’s neck. This type is known as a lariat necklace.
The jewelry making industry has gone through a series of changes over the years. For instance, the variety of materials used in making jewelry has increased as the years go by. Traditionally, necklaces were made from animal skin and thread. However, recently metals like gold, silver, platinum, and titanium are used for this course.